I’m going to say up front that this project is not for everyone. If you’re easily offended, you might go ahead and just click close on this page.
But… (no pun intended)
If you have kind of a warped sense of humor like I do, and you have cats, then you just may appreciate the free pattern I’m throwing at you today.
Cat Butt Christmas Ornaments!!
They’re so wrong, and yet so right…
Us cat ladies know that our kitties show us their loooove when they show us their kitty butts. I think they must be very proud of them and they want to show us how lovely they are.
I do have traditional Christmas decorations in my house, I promise. And Christmas really is a deeply meaningful holiday for me. But the idea of a whole bunch of felt cat butts all over a tree just cracked me up. And if something is funny to me, that usually means I have to find a way to make it.
They’re actually very simple to make. I knew right away that I wanted to use pink fabric yoyos for the cat butt. The gathered up fabric is soooo perfect for that, amiright? And now I will never ever look at a pink fabric yoyo the same way. Cat sphincters! They’re all cat sphincters!
Butt… (pun intended this time)
If you don’t have pink fabric yoyos, you can also just use a circle of felt and stitch an asterisk across it. But really, pink yoyos are just so awesome.
So download my pattern and follow the steps below to make your very own cat butt Christmas ornaments.
- Felt in cat color of your choice. For me, that’s always black because of my 5 black cats.
- Freezer paper
- Cat butt ornament template
- 1” pink fabric yoyo or felt circle. Fabric yoyos are an ongoing scrapbusting project for me and I keep a bag of them in my sewing room. Here is a tutorial showing how to make one using the Clover yoyo maker. I used the 30mm size yoyo maker (the green one) for this project. And here is a tutorial showing how to make one without the special yoyo maker.
- Needle and thread
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue
- Pipe cleaner cut to 5”. It won’t show so color doesn’t matter.
- Small amount of polyester stuffing
Print or trace the pattern on to the freezer paper. Iron it to the back of the felt and cut it out. Remove the freezer paper from the cut out shapes.
Center a pink fabric yoyo or felt circle behind the cut out circle on the ornament front. Stitch in place. Or, if you
Sew around the cat shape – by hand or by machine, your choice – leaving a hole on one of the sides so you can stuff it.
Stuff the cat’s body through the hole and then sew it up.
You can use the cat’s curled tail to hang the ornament on the tree.