15 Minute Fleece Cat Hat – FREE PATTERN

Being a crazy cat lady, I think everything is better with cat ears.  Hats, especially.   Because if you’re gonna wear a hat to keep your head warm, why not add in some cat ears to make it cute?

I’ve been wanting to design a cat ear hat for a while, but with the recent focus on making pink cat ear hats as a political statement, I decided that this would be a good time to move it to the top of my “want to make” list.

So today, I’ve got a free pattern to share with you!

15 Minute Fleece Cat Hat - FREE PATTERN!

It’s a simple fleece hat with cat ears.  The ears are cut on to the body and there are no darts, so it sews up quickly and easily.

I can make one in just 15 minutes, and that includes the time it takes to cut out the pieces.

15 Minute Fleece Cat Hat - FREE PATTERN!

I’ve already made several neon pink cat ear hats, for myself to wear to our local women’s march and to give away to friends.  They’re so quick to make, there’s no reason not to share!   I’ve also made a non-political version from black because all 5 of my kitties are black cats and I wanted to match my set of cats.

15 Minute Fleece Cat Hat - FREE PATTERN!

So whether you wear them to make a political statement or just because you think cat ears are cute, download the pattern and sew some cat ear hats – because cat ears are for everyone!

Get the free pattern and tutorial below.

15 Minute Fleece Cat Hat - FREE PATTERN!

Supplies

1/3 yard fleece (enough to make 2 hats)

Free pattern

All seam allowances ½”.

1. Sew the hat body pieces together around the top and sides, right sides together. Clip curves.
  2. Sew the band pieces together at the sides, right sides together.
  3. Turn the hat body right side out.
  4. Turn the band right side out and then fold in half lengthwise.
  5. Pin the band to the hat body, right sides together and raw edges touching. Sew the band to the body.
  6. Flip the band down so seam allowance is in the inside of the hat.
  7. Top stitch around the ears (between the circles on the pattern) ¼” from edge.
  8. (Optional) Stitch a small pleat at the bottom of each ear.

DONE!

15 Minute Fleece Cat Hat - FREE PATTERN!

15 Minute Fleece Cat Hat - FREE PATTERN!

(Visited 14,891 times, 1 visits today)

28 Comments

1. Pingback: Free pattern: Easy 15-minute feece cat ear hat – Sewing

2. Polly January 17, 2017 at 6:15 am

No serger required?

1. Orange Bettie January 18, 2017 at 2:15 pm

I used a serger but it’s not required. You can also sew this on a regular sewing machine. –Anne

3. Sarah January 17, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I am not very skilled at sewing, and I was able to sew six yesterday for the Pussyhat Project.

1. Orange Bettie January 18, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Wonderful! That makes me so happy!! –Anne

2. Jane dineen January 23, 2017 at 1:12 am

What are the measurements for the pieces, looks easy, just need to know size to cut to

1. Orange Bettie January 24, 2017 at 8:20 pm

I’m not sure the exact measurements, but there’s a pattern you can download to cut the pieces. –Anne

4. Colleen January 18, 2017 at 6:27 am

Thanks for the hat pattern! We made 12 pussy hats for the march this Saturday. Only change we made was to add darts to the top, middle, between the ears. About an inch wide, 1.5 inches long. This made the hat fit the shape of the head a bit better and brought the ears in. More cat like. My quilting friend also quilted the ears. We made them all different. Super neat.

1. Orange Bettie January 18, 2017 at 2:17 pm

12 hats, wow! That’s awesome! And thanks for the tip about adding the dart! An easy addition to add more shaping. –Anne

5. Pingback: Pussyhat Project | Sew Pretty in Pink

6. Jen January 20, 2017 at 3:28 pm

ABSOLUTELY ignorant! Let’s change the world by wasting time crying about something that can not be changed by a stupid bunch of hats. Do you think Trump cares about your stupid hats? If you really want to make a difference for someone why not make a bag of cute hats and donate them to your local cancer center or homeless Shelter? Nah let’s just do this

1. Laura January 27, 2017 at 6:27 am

Yes, making hateful remarks to a wonderful lady willing to share her time and knowledge with us is apparently a better use of your time. love the hat!! Thank you for the pattern 🙂

2. Melissa February 5, 2017 at 5:58 am

Agreed, Jen!! What rights do you women feel you don’t have that men do? I work in a male dominated field, and never once have I felt disrespected or paid less than men with my experience. Quit complaining and go find a way to help others instead of making women look ridiculous. These “protests” just further the stereotype. I’d hardly call Jen’s remarks “hateful,” but rather intelligent.

3. Maeve February 23, 2017 at 5:26 pm

And yet you have time to mock someone who’s providing support and encouragement to others by sharing her talents. Shouldn’t you be out on the front lines, protecting Jewish and Muslim places of worship from the recent spate of attacks or something else useful? What a waste of time to mock the efforts of others from behind the safety of your keyboard.

I LOVE these hats and have given so many away, (including to friends in Ukraine, Russia and China), that I’m constantly looking for new sources of pink fleece. Thank you SO much for making this easy to use pattern widely available!

7. M. M. Long January 20, 2017 at 11:49 pm

What absolute FUN. I just completed a hat in yellow and pink color combination. Indeed, it takes less than 1/2 hour to complete this project. WARNING: You will want to make many more😄!

8. Hannah January 22, 2017 at 12:17 am

I don’t have a printer. Anyway you could put this pattern on an inch grid?

9. Pingback: Sew: Pink Pussy Hat {Upcycled from A Cardigan} – Ask Sarah

10. D Day January 22, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Cute idea. And pink! Will wear it to the next march!

11. Renee January 22, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Thank you so much for this pattern. I saw it at the perfect time and ended up making 32 hats for my friends and family. They were worn at Women’s Marches in Oakland and San Fransisco yesterday. Your hats got many compliments in Oakland and Berkeley, where 11 of us marched together wearing them. Thanks again for the inspiration.

12. Karen January 23, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Thank you for posting this pattern! I made 8 hats to give to friends and strangers at the March! Based on the comments, I also made a couple modifications to add a dart at the top middle to make the hat fit a bit better and keep the ears in; and added a contrasting fabric to the ears to make them stand out more.

13. Dee Hudson January 24, 2017 at 5:46 am

Happy to find your page and see all your great work!

Pink cat hat, Wow! Lovely pattern and I like the ear definition w.out it being a separate piece of fabric that is sewn on. Simpler w. bad hands (arthritis) and looks so cute, no separate ears required!

Thank you, thank you. I’ve signed up via email for updates.

14. Lyne March 2, 2017 at 6:35 am

Two questions: 1. Is this adult size or child size? 2. I am having trouble printing (this may be just me), but can’t seem to get it to fit on an A4 sheet of paper. It cuts off a bit of the pattern… what am I doing? And thank you so much for this pattern – it is gorgeous!

1. Orange Bettie March 24, 2017 at 12:21 pm

It’s an adult size, though it might fit a bit snug if your fleece doesn’t have any stretch. The print area is 7.5″ x 10″, which I believe would fit on A4. I had a problem printing a PDF the other day – the pattern was oriented to the top right corner and it cut off about half an inch. I had to go into my print settings and set it to “auto portrait/landscape” for the orientation. Fixed the problem. You might give that a try. –Anne

1. Lyne April 3, 2017 at 4:19 am

Thanks so much Anne. I am going to try to guess-timate a child’s size,,,,, Will try the print solution. Thanks heaps – it is a wonderfully simple pattern. Lyne

15. annemarie March 14, 2017 at 1:00 am

Thank you, I’m a teacher & I made this hat into a “Pete the Cat” hat for Story Book night at my school. I cut the band and hat pattern pieces as one piece and just folded up the band part. Came out so cute and cool now my daughter wants a pink one!

1. Orange Bettie March 24, 2017 at 12:18 pm