Being a crazy cat lady, I think everything is better with cat ears. Hats, especially. Because if you’re gonna wear a hat to keep your head warm, why not add in some cat ears to make it cute?
I’ve been wanting to design a cat ear hat for a while, but with the recent focus on making pink cat ear hats as a political statement, I decided that this would be a good time to move it to the top of my “want to make” list.
So today, I’ve got a free pattern to share with you!
It’s a simple fleece hat with cat ears. The ears are cut on to the body and there are no darts, so it sews up quickly and easily.
I can make one in just 15 minutes, and that includes the time it takes to cut out the pieces.
I’ve already made several neon pink cat ear hats, for myself to wear to our local women's march and to give away to friends. They’re so quick to make, there’s no reason not to share! I’ve also made a non-political version from black because all 5 of my kitties are black cats and I wanted to match my set of cats.
So whether you wear them to make a political statement or just because you think cat ears are cute, download the pattern and sew some cat ear hats - because cat ears are for everyone!
Get the free pattern and tutorial below.
1/3 yard fleece (enough to make 2 hats)
All seam allowances ½”.
- Sew the hat body pieces together around the top and sides, right sides together. Clip curves.
- Sew the band pieces together at the sides, right sides together.
- Turn the hat body right side out.
- Turn the band right side out and then fold in half lengthwise.
- Pin the band to the hat body, right sides together and raw edges touching. Sew the band to the body.
- Flip the band down so seam allowance is in the inside of the hat.
- Top stitch around the ears (between the circles on the pattern) ¼” from edge.
- (Optional) Stitch a small pleat at the bottom of each ear.