This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more, but I’ll earn a small commission which will help me keep bringing great content to you. Thanks!
This afternoon I whipped up this cute little business card wallet. And then I wanted to make another, and another, and another.
Simple little projects like this are so satisfying to me! With as much running around, and here and there, and juggling priorities that make up most of my life, there’s something about being able to sit down at your sewing machine for 20 minutes and walk away with a completed project.
The two pockets on the inside will hold business cards or credit cards, or maybe even some folded money. It would make a cute way to present a gift card!
An elastic band sewn into the back makes a quick and easy closure.
With the flick of the wrist you can flip it around to the front to hold your wallet shut.
It’s all small pieces of fabric, good for using your scraps! I really like projects that let me mix colors and prints, how ‘bout you?
Here’s how you can make one!
Cut your fabric:
- Wallet outside – 1 piece 6” x 4.5”
- Wallet inside – 1 piece 6” x 4.5”
- Pockets – 2 pieces, 4.5” x 4.5” each
- Fusible interfacing – 5.5” x 4”
- Fold over elastic – 4.5” (Regular elastic will also work, but fold over elastic is prettier.)
- Iron the fusible interfacing to the back of your wallet outside piece.
- Pin the fold over elastic to the front of the wallet outside piece, right sides together, 1” from one end. (We’re sewing the elastic down with the wrong side up because it will end up being flipped over to keep the wallet closed.) Set the wallet outside piece aside for now.
- Fold the pocket pieces in half so you have two pieces that are 4.5” x 2.25”. Press to crease.
- Place the pocket pieces on either end of the wallet inside piece (right side up), with the folded edges facing inward.
- Stitch around the outer (non folded) edges of the pocket with a 1/8” seam allowance.
- Place the wallet outside and wallet inside pieces right sides together. Sew around all edges with a ¼” seam allowance, leaving a 2” hole for turning.
- Clip corners and turn right sides out.
- Press the wallet flat, turning in the edges at the hole so they’re even with the rest of the wallet.
- Top stitch around all edges with a 1/8” seam allowance, closing the hole and stitching over the elastic strap.
- Fold you wallet in half with the elastic band on the back, pressing to give it a good crease at the fold. Flip the elastic band to the front to keep the wallet closed.